Sunday, July 15, 2012

DIY Super Scientist Badges

So far, I've finished 5 back to school projects. The super scientist badges are my favorite. The idea originated from Kindergarten Kindergarten. After I saw her post about science badges, I knew I had to make them. 


A large part of our curriculum is teaching the students how to "be a scientist." We focus on using our 5 senses to observe the world around us and record/report the information ACCURATELY. At the beginning of the year, I show my class  an object (lets say it's yellow) and ask them to draw it in their science journal, over half of the drawings are blue, pink, purple, etc. After we finish our unit on being a scientist, the super scientist badges will be a great visual to remind my students what it means to be a scientist. When they put on their badge, they also need to have scientist eyes, ears, hands, thoughts, etc. 


So after much ado . . . .here they are!

These badges were fairly inexpensive and simple. I started off getting a couple packages of horizontal badge holders and badge id clips. I got mine at Wal-Mart. They are sold in packs of 12 for $1.88. 

Then I found some scientist clip-art. Jessica Weible has an awesome Mad Scientist pack for $5.00. Click on the picture to follow the link.
The clipart is Skinny Latte by Kimberly Geswein. You can download if for FREE by clicking here.


I designed the badges in publisher. I made a box with a thick black border and added the clipart and text inside. My badge holders are 3 1/2" by 2 1/2". So I made the box a little smaller then this, so that I could add scrapbook paper after it was printed to add a colorful border. 


Here's one last look.


Download for FREE at my TPT store

If you are a blogger, please leave a link so I can check out your blog. Good luck with all your back to school projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment