In our classroom, we work on patterns everyday during calendar time. This activity was a great way to measure individual progress and have a great artifact for each child's portfolio.
Missouri Early Learning Standards:
- Recognizes patterns
- Duplicates and extends patterns
- pre-cut black and orange strips
- glue stick
- white paper
- Show the child your paper and explain how you followed the pattern black, orange, black, orange, black, orange. Just like a tiger.
- Give the child their supplies to make this activity.
- Because I used this activity to measure the child's ability and to keep for their portfolio, I used minimal teacher guidance. Below are a few of the results from my classroom.
left: child age 3
right: child age 5