Monday, April 16, 2012

Bug Math

We played a bug math game today. I found the idea for this game somewhere on the web, but I can't figure out where it was. The kiddos were absolutely crazy about this game. (To be fair, it did include BUGS!) 

Each child has their own jar. I drew mine on paper, but if you have real jars it would be even cooler. 


I used a die I made from a free pattern on the internet. I used the numbers 2,3,4, and 5. I also included a picture of a fly swatter and bug spray. The goal of the game is to fill the jar with bugs. If a number is rolled on the die, the child adds that many bugs to their jar.






If the fly swatter is rolled, one bug goes back in the jar.



If the bug spray is rolled, all of your bugs go back in the middle.






After we ran out of bugs, I had the children count how many bugs were in their jars. We talked about who had the most/least bugs. For my kiddos who were ready, I used this activity to encourage beginning addition and subtraction. At the end of the game, my kiddos were begging to play more. So we will be having some more bug fun tomorrow! 



No comments:

Post a Comment