Sunday, August 5, 2012

Super Friends Book

The start of the school year is the start of so many beginnings! As a preschool teacher, I am my students first teacher. This is a very special and crucial time in their lives. I'm laying a foundation that will continue to be built upon for the rest of their school years (and lives! How awesome is that!!!). I will be teaching them to love books, recognize numbers, count to 30, how to make patterns, and on and on. But just as (if not more) important then these academic skills are social skills. I'm teaching my students HOW to be in school, HOW to be a friend, HOW to function in a group, and so much more! In order for the academic skills to be taught, a strong "how to" of social skills need to be taught first. 


Learning how to be a friend is perhaps the largest task my students have in front of them (especially at the beginning of the year). This is why it is the first unit I teach. Each year I've taught, I've made this unit a little bit stronger. This year, I'm leaving the boring "How to be a Nice Friend" unit behind and using the world of super heroes and super powers to teach my students about being a friend (a SUPER friend)! I feel this fun and enticing parallel will help my students remember the "secrets" of being a good friend AND be a great resource to refer to throughout the rest of the year. 



The book talks about the "secrets" to being a super friend. The secrets are; stop when you notice a problem, think through your super powers for a solution, and act on your thinking. 
1. stop 
2. think
3. act

The super powers presented in the book are; use nice words, share, walk away, get a teacher. 
I also made a poster to hang on our wall for easy reference. One poster is for the secrets, and the other is for super powers. 

I can't wait to introduce this theme! Now when a student comes to me with a problem, we can walk through the steps of a super friend. The goal is to help them become independent in their problem solving. 

If your friend unit needs some SUPER help, hop on over to my tpt store and download your own copy for only $3.00. I have to fund my clip-art addiction somehow. ;)


Clipart by Scrappin Doodles.


YOUR friend,



No comments:

Post a Comment